[rescue] Cleanup: Old manuals

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Thu Mar 13 08:42:25 CST 2003

Cleaning out my basement, I find some stuff that I really, really don't need
any more, but somebody else might. Note: These are all manuals, not the items
themselves.

Model GSI-110 FLEXIBLE DISK DRIVE

Single-sided 8" floppy drive. I salvaged a few bits from these years ago and
dumped the bodies.

KIM-1 user manual, programming manual, and Kim Hints booklet. I lost Kim
years
ago, finally concluded that I dumped her before moving out to California.
Have
regretted it ever since.

The Best of Micro Volume 1 might as well go along with the KIM-1 manuals.

I have a user's manual for the NEC uPD70108/70116 aka V20/V30 chips. I have
mixed feelings about getting rid of it, which probably means I should. Can't
really imagine what use I'd have for these now, other than the fact that my
IMSAI runs on a V30 on those rare occasions when I run it. I suppose I should
scan the manual and recycle the paper. I think it'll save 5 or 6 trees by
itself.

*paw* *paw* I guess the rest of this is either practical (manual for my
'scope) or nostalgia. For example, here's the April 1993 Byte Magazine with
the headline "Fighting Fatware." Here's the March '93 Byte with "Smarter
E-Mail" and "6 New Macs." But that's nothing... in June '94 it was "80x86
Wars. Coming: radical new designs from Intel and others will push the 80x86
architecture to new heights." and in January '93, heh, "Make Your Own CD-ROM
Disks for Less Than $8000."

Not to mention the Colossal Computer Cartoon Book (1977), the Best of Byte
Volume 1 (1977) and probably the most important Byte magazine ever, December
1978, which introduced John Conways' game of Life. (Yes, I know Scientific
American did it first, but I lost that issue years ago.)

---
A book worth banning is a book worth reading.