[rescue] Re: Anyone want a low-power small fast mainframe?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Mar 12 16:25:09 CST 2003

 Dave McGuire writes ...
> On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 04:11 PM, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> > I did, once, see a DEC-10 running.
> > Man, that was awesome. Some 15 meters total in length and sucker power
> > as I-don't-know-what.
>
>    *drool*
>
> > I know of atleast two DEC2020 systems.
>
>    Then you know of at least FIVE, my friend. ;)

I've been a sysop at CompuServe since 1984; I ran seven or eight forums of
my own for years, though I'm now just an assistant on one forum and have no
business responsibilities.  From very early in its existence until the late
nineties, most of the Forums ran on DECsystem 10s, 20s or clones thereof.
So, I suppose you could say I have 10 years or so of DECsystem experience,
except that as a sysop, I was really in userland 99% of the time, just a
special, priviledged corner of userland.

I even saw the machine when I visited their HQ a couple of times, but they
had rooms of them, and it was hard to tell where one left off and the next
one began.  In any case, it was impressive.

There's a bit of stuff in the Jargon file about those systems, see "foonley"
and related entries.

-Shel