[rescue] SS5/110

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Mar 8 21:57:29 CST 2003

On Thursday, Mar 6, 2003, at 11:03 US/Eastern, Dave McGuire wrote:

>> I gave my wife an SS5/110

>   Good lord, what OS are you running on it?

Solaris 2.6. It's an SS5/110 w/ 96m RAM and a ZX framebuffer. I know I
can install the ZX packages under Sol8, but what's the point? All the
resident OS is used for is to log into the machine downstairs and
display. 2.6 has a reasonable footprint and does just fine, thanks. The
only thing missing is some of the power management stuff. I'd love for
her to be able to Shift-Power to save a session and put the machine to
sleep.

Hey, it's my wife on a 32-bit SPARC. I'd say that's a major
accomplishment.

---sambo