[rescue] interest in RS/6000 591 systems/parts?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Fri Mar 7 01:46:04 CST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> The SPEC figures I have for '95, are 14.9 for the 591 with 1MB cache and
> 15.5 for the Ultra 2/1300 with 2M.

I only see 11.2 for the 591, in specbench. I do not know if the 1MB cache
can make an almost 4 point difference in the fp results.

http://www.specbench.org/osg/cpu95/results/res9509/p066.html

Anyhoo, the ultrasparc is pretty weak when it comes to FP anyways. The
POWER2 is also a bit unbalanced (fp vs int performance). But it is still a
good case for the MGZ myth, since the 77MHz part is faster than a
PentiumPro running a 3 times that speed (in FP performance)

Cheers.