[rescue] anyone ever work on imacs

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Mar 6 21:16:53 CST 2003

On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 12:40  AM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> OK... so I got this free IMAC... supposed to be 500MHz, I think DVD
> drive...
> only problem is.... it must have been nocked off a desk... the case is
> rough
> and the picture tube is history.

That is probably the iMac DV, DV+, DV SE Summer 2000 series... what
skin color is it?

> Someone has removed the bottom panel and removed the hard drive and
> memory.

I can get you spares... I'll get you a price (at cost)

> I don't know IMacs much, but there is another slot there too with a
> small
> connector... some board that fits in two plastic rails.... anyone know
> if
> this is for expansion, or if I'm missing something critical....

Airport card.
All macs later than the tray-loaders have only one board... there is a
small daughterboard on the REv 1 DV board but it is not on rails but
rather pegs... and that is the 400Mhz board

> Also, I'm trying to figure out how to open this thing to remove the
> picture
> tube, and to disable the HV, etc of the internal monitor (my plan is to
> use it with an external monitor till I can locate a dead unit/parts
> unit
> someday (presuming this one will even work again))...  I'm having a
> hell of a time figuring out how this thing comes apart !

Let me know some more descriptive details and I'll send you the proper
service source manual in pdf format.

> So, anyone out there familiar with iMacs enough to know if I can
> disable
> the internal monitor and run this on the external VGA connector ?

Sure... you don't need to disable anything... the VGA connector is
always active... it mirrors the onscreen display.

> What is that board I am missing, or is it just some kind of expansion
> slot ?
>
> What kind of DIMMS does this use... they have both been removed.

PC-100

> I assume this can use standard IDE drives ?

Yes

Andrew