[rescue] Octane woes

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Mar 6 18:01:00 CST 2003

Ok... so I got this nifty Octane.... other than needing an OS loaded it
seemed fine.

So, finding information that indicates there are different power supply
revs, motherboard revs, etc and wanting to find out exactly what I have,
I pulled the power supply, XIO board slots, and cpu board.... wrote down
all the information... put it all back together... and

viola... all I have now is one fancy hunk of dung.... does nothing.

I've tried reseating everything but the power supply... three times...

no light on the front, no audio startup sound, no video, no beeps,
no nothing... (well, the power supply fan comes on, and the system
cooling fans run).... other than that ..... dead...

too bad.. it has like 384M RAM, R10000 225MHz, ESI graphics....

Other than the case being scuffed up in places, it is in decent physical
shape as well....

One thing I did do... is on the XIO (I think that is what it is) where
the graphics card is... I touched the funky connector... the one your
not supposed to touch.... doubt that could cause this... pulling the
XIO boards and powering up... the light never comes on the front... so
it acts more like the cpu board is either not getting power, or has gone
dead....

Are those funky connectors touchy....  they don't give me the warn and fuzzy
fealings of something reliable and trustworthy.... but I have no experience
and am going by physical impressions... not electrical characteristics....

I hope this thing isn't dead now... <sigh>...

-- Curt