[rescue] Re: The Talking Netra I

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Mar 6 17:50:37 CST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:14:55PM -0500, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just rescued a Netra I. It is a sparc 20 but it had a Cisco fddi card and a
> sbus T1 card in it.
> Well here's the funny part. Once the machine booted it's solaris 2.4 it
> talks.
> Some female voice say's something like:"The system is now loaded. Netra
> services now available."
>
> Anybody know what that does and if that's only a solaris 2.4 thing? Or what
> software that does.

This particular recording is part of the Netra software load. In those
days, Netra referred to a somewhat customized OS load for Internet
services (Netra I), Javastation server services (Netra J), or nfs
service (Netra NFS). On the 'i' and 'nfs' models it wasn't exactly
rocket science, as I recall... I think the main diff on the nfs load
was seven lines of /etc/system customization.

--Rob