[rescue] what to ask for an Onyx?

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Mar 6 13:58:12 CST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 02:41:38PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    I will think about it.  When is your birthday?

Nov 10.

>    Well I had a deskside Onyx a while back...I adored that machine, I'd
> love to get another one.  I sold it to Sridhar before moving down here
> to FL.  I have the Octane for fancy display stuff, but I really need to
> find a FDDI interface for it.  Is there an XIO HIPPI interface?  Mmmmm,
> now that would be nice...but the big hardware is in the computer room
> (where it belongs) and the Octane is on my desk in my office (where it
> belongs)...not sure what the distance limitations are on parallel
> HIPPI.  It's probably much longer on serial HIPPI, being fiber and all.

Well, how would Onyx2 level machines have HIPPI if not through XIO?
http://www.sgi.com/software/hippi/
Comments on there being a XIO HIPPI serial interface available for the
Octane.

You also have the possibility of getting a 13w3 and PS/2 Extender set
and putting the octane in the computer run, and then running cables from
it to your office.  That's commonly done with Onyxs, and I've seen it
done with Indigo2s, so why not an Octane?