[rescue] SS5/110

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Thu Mar 6 12:50:42 CST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:43:08AM -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 08:17:45AM -0500, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> > Anyone know if an SS5/110 is fast enough to run Mozilla?
>
> I use Mozilla for most browsing, but Amaya 7.2 (compiled from source) for
> testing, because it's more rigorous: pages which work correctly there and
> which pass "tidy" have a fighting chance of working with most browsers.
> I also use dillo (compiled from source), Opera (binary), Netscape 4 and 7
> (binary) and my favorite text-style browser, w3m (which IMHO beats the
> pants off lynx).  On a SS5/110 the performance is adequate.  On a 5/170
> with 128M, Solaris 9 and the GNOME desktop (albeit with the ICE window
> manager), it's tolerable, but as others have observed, startup is slow
> and tab-switching isn't speedy.

Speaking of text browsers, I've just started using a links (not lynx)
(http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/) branch that supports
graphics and javascript (http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/).
Not only did it compile cleanly on my Indy (R4400/200, Irix 6.5.13, gcc 3)
but it is decently fast and responsive. So far most sites render correctly
and it hasn't crashed on me yet. And it's the only browser I've seen with
internal adjustable gamma correction. Weird.

Jody