[rescue] SS5/110

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Thu Mar 6 09:22:21 CST 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:07:01AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>
> > > It's painful on my Ultra 10/440 and my Octane R10k/195.  Draw from that
> > > what you will.
> >
> > Wierd.  How did you compile it (optimizations and debugging wise), and
> > with what compiler?
>
> Then again, I suppose I should qualify "painful".  To me, "painful"
> means that it pegs the CPU at 100% for about a minute while launching,
> and for about 10 seconds while switching pages, and 15 seconds while
> doing tab manipulation.

Hmm.  That sounds bad.

You will get no argument that Mozilla is horribly wastefull of CPU
cycles, however, you situation still sounds usually bad to me.  Mozilla
on Irix on a O2 r5k/180 with 64megs of RAM didn't take as long to switch
pages or manipulate tabs as you describe.  It did take a minute to
launch with the CPU pegged though.  We were using non debugging binary
tarball from mozilla.org (or did we get it from freeware.sgi.com...   I
forget now).