[rescue] anyone ever work on imacs

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Thu Mar 6 00:03:10 CST 2003

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> OK... so I got this free IMAC... supposed to be 500MHz, I think DVD drive...
> only problem is.... it must have been nocked off a desk... the case is rough
> and the picture tube is history.

Ick.  I'm looking for replacement shells for you.  Maybe this guy:

http://www.macaquarium.com/imacaquarium.htm

would be able to sell you one.  At the very worst you buy an iMacquarium
and take it apart. ;-)

> Someone has removed the bottom panel and removed the hard drive and memory.

Not surprising.

> I don't know IMacs much, but there is another slot there too with a small
> connector... some board that fits in two plastic rails.... anyone know if
> this is for expansion, or if I'm missing something critical....

It may be the CPU daughter card but the iMac manual for that particular
model should be able to be downloaded from Apple or somewhere else on
the web.

> Also, I'm trying to figure out how to open this thing to remove the picture
> tube, and to disable the HV, etc of the internal monitor (my plan is to
> use it with an external monitor till I can locate a dead unit/parts unit
> someday (presuming this one will even work again))...  I'm having a
> hell of a time figuring out how this thing comes apart !

Lots of Philips screws and much frustation.  I've taken only one apart
in my experience but that was hoop-jumping to the max.

> So, anyone out there familiar with iMacs enough to know if I can disable
> the internal monitor and run this on the external VGA connector ?

Depends on the model I think - again you need to find PDFs somewhere.
My gut feel is yes but don't quote me on that.

Here's the manuals available on Apple's site:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50015&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|165826917

(Apologies for the long link - blame Apple. ;-)

> What is that board I am missing, or is it just some kind of expansion slot ?

Maybe CPU - maybe not.
http://www.macworld.com/2000/02/07/upgrades.html

> What kind of DIMMS does this use... they have both been removed.

Check with www.macsales.com - they should have specs even if their costs
are somewhat higher.

> I assume this can use standard IDE drives ?

Yep.

> I'd like to play with MacOSX sometime, and this is the only thing with enough
> horsepower to be able to possibly do it... so I'm hoping I can bring it back
> to some kind of usefull life....

Anything can be brought back to life - the questions are always "How
much do you want to spend?" or "How much is your time worth?"

I'll see if I can't find some more info for you.

*search for a bit*

BINGO!

http://homepage.mac.com/techedgeezine/imac_upgrade_how_to/iMac_howto.htm

(Well, at least some it anyway.)