[rescue] Re: I/O coprocessors?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 09:23:32 CST 2003

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 11:08 PM, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> >> Are there other microprocessor families with dedicated I/O
> >> processors? Moto 68k?  Zilog?
> >
> > I'm probably completely misunderstanding your question, but many
> > midrange *nix systems have separate dedicated I/O processors. A
> > great example are modern HP 9000 boxes which have a GSP (Guardian
> > Service> Processor). Basically a small computer within a computer,
> > it handles all console I/O and provides a watchdog timer as well
> > as logging chassis fault codes and a million other useful things.

I can remember back in the mid-late 1980s, DEC was making hay over
their big iron's ability to "call home" when there was a problem with
the machine (via built-in modem) - I assume this was implemented in a
sub-assembly system (complete, subserviant system to monitor the larger
system)...

Also, my E250 with remote console would also qualify, since the remote
console functions (on some level) independent of the OS installed (or
not), as I understand it...

=====
Lionel

http://taxes.yahoo.com/