[rescue] J90 on epay

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Sat Mar 1 20:30:01 CST 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 09:19:11PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    The only non-off-the-shelf VME64 board found in J90s is the IOBB
> interface.  They mainly use Interphase boards.
>
>    The only direct-attach framebuffers I've ever heard of being
> connected to a Cray were HIPPI-attached ones.  I'm still looking for
> one of those.  I missed one on eBay about two years ago, haven't seen
> one since.

I don't think the console I head of was a HIPPI one, but I could be
wrong.  Although, I don't see why one couldn't use a VME64 framebuffer.

I've heard of HIPPI framebuffers, but I've never seen one.  I get the
impression that they weren't very common, since most of the time I heard
of a Cray or CM being used for graphics work, it was being connected to
an SGI or Symbolics machine for the display.

Still, a HIPPI network with a Cray J90, a IBM S/390 G5 (database and
file server), a few challenges and Onyxs, and a stand alone frame buffer
or two would rock seriously.