[rescue] J90 on epay

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sat Mar 1 16:53:14 CST 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    For booting, the IOS SS5 (the "master" IOS if there's more than one)
> keeps the J90 processor halted, squirts a kernel into their memory
> along with a configuration file which contains details device
> configuration and such, then starts the processor at the entry point of
> the kernel.  It's a fascinating process.  It took James Sharp and I
> days of work to reverse-engineer how the boot process works.

Fascinating indeed. You say J90 processor as if it's a single entity; from
your other comments, I gather that its a massive pile of specially made
SS5s. So the way you boot a big super is by jump-starting it? Does it have
to load the kernel(s) into the boards one at a time, or all at once?

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"