[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Fri Jan 17 02:26:45 CST 2003

Jochen Kunz wrote:

> > My electric bill is about $80 per 3 months,
>
> Isn't electricity in Sweden very cheap? Aren't you the one who is
> running a VAX 8650 as "personal workstation"? At least someone from
> Sweden that is on the rescue / classiccmp / port-vax lists is doing
> this.

Well, the prices has gone from somewhere near $0.02/kWh to $0.05/kWh,
depending on the unusually cold weather here recently. Many (southern)
swedes are using electric heating, and that can cost you a fortune when
your house are insulated for -5 (celsius), and it reaches down to -20
degrees outside. In the more northern regions (where I live), people are
using fossile fuels for heating, or other ways. (People often have three
way heating - either oil, wood or electric)

Trust me, it's not me running the VAX 8650.
I am however active in a computer society called "Eagle Computing"
(http//www.eagle.y.se) in our town, where we've had many many types of
machines over the years. Heck, the biggest one was a VAX 8550, 5 racks
with disks and stuff. That baby draw somewhere near 25-30 Amps per phase
@ 380V. Damn luck that the power bill is included with the rent for
their premises. :-)
If you look at http://www.eagle.y.se/datorsystemet/datorsystemet.html
you can see what machines we have at the moment. Soon there will be more
machines coming, and we are continously exchanging machines to
newer/better/bigger/smaller machines to keep up.

All I have at home right now is two PeeCees, one older machine wich is
going for sale, and my new machine. Oh, I have an iMac also but that
critter is waaaay to slow to use anyway, so it's just sitting collecting
dust. I am however in the works to aquire a new machine from work, a
PPro200 server, to use mainly for linux. I've got some CD-towers, an
iPaq, a bunch of disks, but other than that I keep a very slim profile
at home. At work I have an AlphaStation 255/300 and one Indy/24bit.

/Bjorn