[rescue] Remote System Control on E250

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Feb 26 01:56:42 CST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I am starting to get serious about my E250, and couldn't help but
> notice that the hardware includes a Remote System Control interface,
> allowing secure Ethernet/serial console connections - has anyone used
> this?

I haven't used it yet, but I'm interested in playing with it, since I
have two 'spare' e250s at work.

> I am intrigued by this, and want to learn more - I've scanned the
> documents at http://docs.sun.com/db/coll/935.1 and it seems to make
> clear that the software is shipped on a CD-ROM, independednt of an OS
> media kit - is this correct?

Perhaps, but according to the user's guide for the RSC module itself
(http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/806/806-3986/pdf/), it looks like you can
just hang a modem or terminal-server off the serial port for remote
access, or via telnet over the Ethernet port on the RSC module.

It looks the the Ethernet port on the RSC can even be configured to use
DHCP.  This actually looks really cool!

> Is this generally available (assuming it is not included in Solaris 9
> distro), and does anyone have any opinions on using this?

Well, in Solaris 9, I have rscadm available as:
  /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-250/rsc/rscadm

So long as you don't want a goofy Java GUI for a management interface, I
think you've got all you need between rscadm and the firmware on the RSC
module.

--
Jonathan Patschke *) "Microsoft doesent have to be involved in order
Thorndale, TX     (*  for people to be ignorant morons.  It's just a