[rescue] DEC Alpha Questions

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Feb 23 10:34:07 CST 2003

On 2003.02.23 09:05 Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> I have a "generic" AXP PCI 33 (I think that is what it is called),
> Alphastation 250 4/266 (with PV-PCI video),
The AS 250 is a nice machine but the AXP PCI 33 is not worth much. It is
very, very slow due to its 21066 CPU.

> and 2 (possibly 3) Aspen Systems Alpine 275XS systems
I have nerver heard of these machines. Any details?

> So, as I understand it I can run:
>
> OSF/1
> Digital Unix
> Tru64
Well, thats all the same. As already stated by Robert a license is $99,
a good investment. I run Tru64 on my main workstation. I like it.

> OpenVMS
It is allways good to try somthing "differnet".

> OpenBSD
> NetBSD
> FreeBSD
I prefer and recommend NetBSD (-current) here. NetBSD-current is much
more responsive then 1.6-release due to some improvements...

> Redhat Linux
> more Linuxes
Skip Linux.
--