[rescue] Re: DEC Alpha Questions

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Feb 23 02:45:02 CST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 03:05:26AM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> OSF/1 > Digital Unix > Tru64 > OpenVMS > OpenBSD > NetBSD > FreeBSD > Redhat Linux > more Linuxes
>
> I want one OpenVMS box and I understand I can get hobbiest licensing from

It's Hobbyist, unless you're a superlative hobbi. :)

> montagar.com (someone said you had to be a member of some group first, is
> this so, and where do you become a member of that group prior to signing up
> for hobbies VMS from montagar ?).

Sign up for Encompass, I believe: http://www.encompassus.org/

Used to be called DECUS. There will no doubt be some spitting about
this. A Joan Rivers phrase comes to mind.

> I would like one OSF/1, Digital Unix, or Tru64 box (recommendations here).
> Is there a hobbiest license for Digital Unix and/or Tru64 ???

Tru64 5.1 is available, license and media, $99 direct from HP.
http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/noncommercial-unix/

Unfortunately they don't do online orders anymore. You can phone them
to order. I'd be tempted to upgrade to 5.1b if I didn't have to phone them.
I waited 2 years to get the HP Laserjet 3100 drivers for 2k/xp because
I didn't want to bother with anyone's phone-only service. :)

--Rob