[rescue] DECtalk

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Feb 22 21:53:01 CST 2003

Lionel Peterson writes ...
> --- "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
> > Eric Dittman writes ...
> >
> > > I know this is question is a long shot, but does anyone have
> > > a DECtalk unit they'd like to sell?
> >
> > Not I, but I do know what one is, I used to have one, and I've
> > programmed an e-mail reader for one....
>
> DECTalk is now software-based, isn't it? I've wanted one for years, but
> my interest never rose to the level where I would go out of my way and
> actively look for one...

I don't know about now, but ten years ago, a DECtalk was a box'o'smarts,
about 2U high.  My client wanted it to read e-mail aloud in a television
station control room.  My program modified the text in the e-mail messages
and fed it over a serial link to the DECtalk.

Of course, the last thing you need in a TV control room is some automaton
talking to you at random times, so the DECtalk got dropped from the spec
pretty early in the project.

-Shel