[rescue] quad 486

r. 'bear' stricklin red at bears.org
Sat Feb 22 02:06:53 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> > which HP couldn't apologize enough... which Amazon deftly leveraged into
> > what amounted to a free conversion of their core infrastructure to
> > linux. Nice.
>
> Regatta's kick all manner of ass.

Well, there's that too. (: Plus I like AIX.

> What architecture/hardware brand for Linux?

I doubt Linux on PA-RISC has matured enough since the last time I looked
at it. I'm pretty sure they deployed on x86, so I imagine HP gave them a
pile of Netservers. They wouldn't have bought the "we're so sorry, here,
we'll give you linux!" line. I know Bill Reeder from IBM was in there
trying to sell them linux on the zSeries, which they didn't go for. If
ever there was an institution with a cultural aversion to seriously
high-end systems, it's Amazon. After endless data loss with race
conditions in Tru64 AdvFS, the biggest GS160 Compaq could make not being
big enough, ground loops in the CI on those GS160s, the politically
motivated axing of the E10k, and the death of the Superdome, I'd be
shocked to find out they had any hardcore iron left.

95% of the rackspace in the data center was AS1200, AS4100, Storageworks,
NetApp, UE450, or UE250. I don't even want to know what it looks like now.

Sometimes I miss working there. Usually I don't. I definitely don't miss
falling asleep under my desk at 4 AM. I'm sorry, do I sound bitter? (;

ok
bear