[rescue] IBM PS/2 9595

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 21 22:48:26 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> > I found the reference and diag diskettes,
>
> Lucky bastard.  You could have been screwed without these.

These are still readily available from IBM's FTP site.  You can even find
all the option disks for IBM options.  Even the oldest ones.

> > Any ideas on what OS I'd be happy with?
>
> OS/2 Warp 3.0 runs spectacularly on this iron.  I think mine came with
> an older rev of OS/2 like 2.0 or more likely 2.1 but 3.0 would run on
> them pretty well.

4.0 runs really, really well.  I would suggest eComStation, if you want to
run OS/2 now.

> > I've not had any luck booting NetBSD on it even though it is
> > supposedly supported. Is OS/2 around still in any form?
>
> Yes, IBM still has it hidden away on their web site somewhere that you
> can buy it.  I think all of my OS/2 discs are gone at this point.  It's
> a shame what happened to OS/2.

Hidden?  Hardly.

http://www.software.ibm.com/os/warp/

> > Other interesting thing is that I'll either need a MCA ethernet card,
> > or I'll need to set up a token ring network. I have an RS6K 6611
> > router with token ring, so I may be masochistic enough to to the ring
> > thing...
>
> MCA ethernet *might* be hard to find, but I've thrown out bucketloads of
> MCA token ring cards (16/4).  The only reason you would have trouble
> finding one is that most people don't know MCA when they see it, realize
> the card won't plug into anything that they have, so figure it is
> useless and put it in the round file.

MCA Ethernet cards are actually quite easy to find if you look.

> All of my archived CD's are still in storage so I can't go digging for
> OS/2 just yet.  When I get unpacked I'll take a look and see what I
> have.

OS/2 is not abandonware.  Believe it or not, IBM still enforces copyright.
Just buy eComStation.

Peace...  Sridhar