[rescue] quad 486

r. 'bear' stricklin red at bears.org
Fri Feb 21 18:04:40 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> Sequent's UNIX was Dynix.

Minor nit:

Sequent's UNIX was DYNIX/ptx. IBM recently announced EOSL for DYNIX/ptx
and the last of the NUMA-Q hardware.

Dynix is a company that produces software for library information systems.
Electronic card catalog, library automation... stuff like that.

Internal factions at the current daily grind are battling over whether
we'll replace our NUMA-Qs with Regatta, or Superdome, and whether it'll
happen now or in 2005. I'm personally pushing for the p690, because HP-UX
is a major pile of excrement. And also because they axed the UE10k at
Amazon.com in favor of a Superdome (for non-technical reasons) and my job
went with it. According to my spies who are still there, the superdome
crashed and burned and left the site down for two days, after which HP
couldn't apologize enough... which Amazon deftly leveraged into what
amounted to a free conversion of their core infrastructure to linux.
Nice.

ok
bear