[rescue] IBM PS/2 9595

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Fri Feb 21 17:29:36 CST 2003

I asked earlier if this was worth fiddling with. I decided it was...
Forty pounds worth of 486 MCA bus server...

I found the reference and diag diskettes, put the special partition on
the 1G SCSI I had kicking around, and actually loaded an OS. (Well, only
DOS, but it *does* boot.) I also found an old Sony CDU-55 (I think) 2x
SCSI CDROM for it...

I'm actually pretty impressed with this thing. For it's age, it is
pretty advanced. It appears that I can boot from a CD (it's a choice
anyway) and the diags are pretty thorough. Has a PS/2 kb and mouse (I
guess that should be a "duh!") and a power supply big enough for at
least a couple of computers.

There's room for several good-sized SCSI drives, so I think this may
abecome a home for some of my old drives and provide some network
storage or something...

Any ideas on what OS I'd be happy with? I've not had any luck booting
NetBSD on it even though it is supposedly supported. Is OS/2 around
still in any form?

Other interesting thing is that I'll either need a MCA ethernet card, or
I'll need to set up a token ring network. I have an RS6K 6611 router
with token ring, so I may be masochistic enough to to the ring thing...

--
Steve Sandau
L3 Communications/TMA