[rescue] quad 486

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Fri Feb 21 11:41:07 CST 2003

On 2/20/03 9:13 PM, "Kevin" <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> All the talk as of late about dual or quad P6 boxes reminds
> me of a question i had.  A buddy of mine swears that some quad
> 486 boxes were produced in the early 90s.  Does anyone know of
> such a beast or if this was even possible?

In the early 90's we had an AT&T StarserverE that was dual-486, and could
have gone quad with the addition of another 2 proc board.

It ran AT&T SysV. There was a "multi-processor enabler" package that you had
to load (kernel module or somesuch?) else the OS would see it as a single
CPU box.

After it went out of service, we put NT on it for fun, and it saw the 2
procs, but a bunch of other stuff didn't work since it was "Deathstar-brand"
proprietary.

Steve