[rescue] Re: Wanted - Dual (or quad) PPro

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Feb 21 08:39:50 CST 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:00:02PM +1300, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> That sounds like a really interesting system Sridhar. How on earth did you
> get the PIII chips to go above 2-way? I thought the PII & PIII only
> supported single-bit processor IDs (unlike the PPro which had a two-bit ID).

I'm not positive, but I'm guessing that the chipset handles it.  It
perhaps does something like make the first cpu think it is proc 0,
and it sees all the other procs as proc 1.  All the other procs then
think they are proc 1 and see the others as proc 0.  And beyond that the
chipset sorts things out to make it actually work correctly.

But, as I said, that's just a guess.  I do know that ALR used to do
something like that PPro machines beyond quad processors.