[rescue] Re: Wanted - Dual (or quad) PPro

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Feb 20 11:39:05 CST 2003

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 11:44 AM, Scott Newell wrote:
>>> Although I am not a major fan of the PC architecture, I still think
>>> that the PPro was one of the great CPUs. The ideas it introduced have
>>> gone on to have a profound impact on the industry.
>>
>> I wasn't aware that it introduced any new ideas.  Care to share?
>
> Not sure if they were new or not: but how 'bout micro-ops and dual die
> in a
> single package?

   Multiple dies in a package have been done before...I don't recall in
what offhand but I know I've seen them.

   A variation on that theme is also the F11 and J11 chips from
DEC...each was built with two dies each in their own SMT package, with
those packages in turn mounted on a ceramic-substrate DIP.

        -Dave