[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Thu Feb 20 10:20:03 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:02:15 -0500, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
wrote:

>    [catching up on old threads here]
>
>    Nice piece of code.

Thanks. I'm very proud of the code I've written for this project. I've
managed
to keep the whole project organized pretty well (especially in light of a
complete lack of code management tools and practices in place here), and
managed to avoid spaghetti code pretty well while still keeping the code
pretty efficient. Like any other tool, these OOP concepts work very well if
you apply them correctly.

It's frustrating to me that my boss gripes about how long I take to do things
without appreciating how well the code is organized and how maintainable it
is, and how much the initial effort will pay off in the long run. As far as I
know, he has yet to look at any part of my code.

Occasionally I'll get lucky... somebody will say "What if we reverse the
action of this switch, how will that effect usability?" and I'll be able to
turn a 1 to a 0 and re-assemble, and hand him a test device in 5 minutes.
Because yes, not only are there constants for the port, the tris, the bit,
and
how to program the bit on that tris, but also one for the input sense... and
the code uses them all.

Part of the reason for that was that I knew going in the hardware was going
change, so I made an effort to map everything to constants and use consistent
naming conventions to make the changeover as painless as possible. :)

Ah, well. I know it's good, and at least Mark will appreciate it when I leave
and he has to take over the project.

---
Any system that takes responsibility away from people dehumanizes them.