[rescue] Re: Wanted - Dual (or quad) PPro

Robert F. Schaefer rschaefe at gcfn.org
Thu Feb 20 05:23:24 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gavin Hubbard" <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 4:07 AM
Subject: [rescue] Re: Wanted - Dual (or quad) PPro

> I personally run a Unisys Aquanta HS/6 (basically an OEM'd ALR Revolution
6x6) with six PII Overdrive CPUs and it hasn't missed a beat in the last two
years. I consider it a 6-way mini-Xeon system. In terms of performance, the
OD CPUs are a big step up from the 200MHz/512K chips I used to run.

How big a step up?  I thought I heard that the OD chips were only a marginal
improvement.  If they're that good, I might look for a pair to stick in my
peasea.  Dunno if I want to replace the 1024K chips in my IBM yet.

> I have also heard of people successfully running four PII Overdrives in
quad CPU boards.

> Incidentally, I'm still keeping space set aside in my zoo for a system
running multiple 200MHz/1MB Pentium Pro chips. I used to lust after them
really badly when I was younger.

Like a Netfinity 7000 (8651-RH0)?  Quad PPro200/1024 w/ up to 4GB RAM, 12x
hot swap SCA bays

I saw a Xenon-based Compaq go for $reasonable on epay a few weeks back.  4x
2MB chips w/ 1.5GB RAM...

>> Regards,
>
> Gavin

Bob