[rescue] Small serial terminal

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 13:29:47 CST 2003

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 6:34 pm, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Also, the 'button bar' above the
> keyboard has come unattached from the shell.  In looking, it seems

It sounds more like you've got a Psion3 or 3a as the 5 integrated the
button bar into the screen. The 3(a) was pre-ARM and ran EPOC16 rather
than EPOC32 (a bit of retractive re-naming there).

Good news: The screen was far more readable than the 5 (the 3 screen
wasn't touch sensitive).
Bad news: I don't think the comms program was built in; it came as
part of the serial "cable" (there was a lump half-way down that
contained a ROM or something). However, there are addon terminals progs
for EOPC16 which might work if you can get the software installed, and
construct some kind of cable.

Also the keyboard on the 5 is far better than the 3; whilst it wasn't
full sized, it felt as good as most laptops and fast finger pokers
(rather than touch typers) could get pretty close to desktop typing
speeds.

Of course, there's a good chance that there's other later Psion products
that would be useful as a serial terminal ... I jumped ship for Palms
about a year after getting the series 5.