[rescue] Multia Question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 20:11:03 CST 2003

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>    ...and those NVRAMs typically last anywhere from 5 to 10 years.  I
> don't consider this to be a big issue.  At the time of the design of
> those systems, other types of nonvolatile memory (flash, EAROM,
> EEPROM, etc) were far too expensive.

Well, I, for one, would rather have a small battery sealed in a
chip/carrier than a conventional cell with contacts than can corrode
over time.

Besides, the replacement cost is what, well under $10 (in OEM Qty.)?
For a machine that sold for many, many thousands of dollars such an
expense every 5-10 years is trivial. This well exceeds the expected
useful life when the unit was designed, to be sure.

=====
Lionel

http://shopping.yahoo.com