[rescue] Re: Re: Small serial terminal

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Feb 18 14:40:30 CST 2003

> Ditto to that.  Redhat was OK in v5 days but is excrement now.
>  I run Slackware at home and on some servers at work, very
> happy with it.  If you can get used to devfs, Rock linux is
> pretty good as well.  I run it on my workstation here at work.
>
> Linux has it's faults but don't judge it as a whole based on
> anything you find in redhat/mandrake.
>
>>Well, there's your problem right there.  I use Slackware
>>here at the office(we need to use Linux for a combination of
>>technical and monetary reasons) and I'm *extremely* happy
>>with it.  RedHat is barely fit to poop on.

RedHat is (IMO) unnecessarily complicated. Config files are read by
scripts that are linked to other scripts that are called by still other
ones. It took me ages just to not be able to figure out where to tell
the system to load a kernel module. If the automatic stuff works on
RedHat, you may be OK, otherwise it is a nightmare along the lines of
trying to track down where a variable is set in Big Brother. (That just
about drove me insane.)

To me, Slackware is simple and straightforward. Mixing precompiled
packages and source packages isn't a problem. You don't have to download
     anything in a specific format for the installation to recognize it.

And the partitions are mounted by device name *not* a label on the
partition!

--
Steve Sandau
L3 Communications/TMA