[rescue] Re: Re: Small serial terminal

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Feb 18 14:08:09 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:52:17AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> Ditto to that.  Redhat was OK in v5 days but is excrement now.
>  I run Slackware at home and on some servers at work, very
> happy with it.  If you can get used to devfs, Rock linux is
> pretty good as well.  I run it on my workstation here at work.

I don't see why people gripe about Redhat 6.2 and later so much.  In my
experience it is just as good as any other linux (except perhaps
Debian).  Just like in the other linuxs, you just have to chuck the
package management system, recompile everything from scratch (especially
the kernel) that you can, and redo the init scripts to your liking.
That's the procedure I use for slackware, that's the procedure I use for
redhat, that's the procedure I use for Suse, and that would probably be
the procedure I'd use for mandrake, if I'd ever had a reason to use it.
The distribution's just is just to get linux onto the computer somehow.
After that, the rest is up to you.

BTW, I was starting to like Debian's package system, but it seems that
if it's config files get hosed (say, because the harddrive they reside
on starts failing, and corrupts the blocks that the files lived in),
there is no realistic way to get it back without reinstalling the
machine.  So, my debian machine is getting the install everything by
hand and reconfigure as I see fit treatment now.