[rescue] Re: Re: Small serial terminal

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Tue Feb 18 12:44:39 CST 2003

Kevin wrote....
> My last experience with RedHat on a backup server (nfs)
> reinforced my opinion that Linux has become
> unreliable junk.  That server now happily runs FreeBSD.
> It's too bad that FreeBSD is the Betamax of free OS's.
Woahhhh I can't let that go by, being the FreeBSD zealot that I am (although
I do agree with your assesment of Linux) *chuckle*. I'm not sure I follow
what you mean by the Betamax analogy? I use FreeBSD exclusively (ok, a few
windows servers for customers who insist on ASP - I'm trying to re-educate
them) in my webhosting/colocation business - about 30 servers. I also use it
at a client site with around 20 FreeBSD servers - all very mission critical.
Other than an annoyingly poor thread (userland) implementation which only
affects extremely intense thread based applications (read: mysql), FreeBSD
seems to kick the tar out of everything else IMHO.

So give me details on the Betamax analogy (off list, don't want to start
another OS war)...

Jay West

---