[rescue] Blade 1000 and Video Cards

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Feb 18 10:34:42 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 04:11:12PM +0100, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
> I just got a blade 1000, and I would like to hear if
> someone has comments regarding which is the best video
> card (and why) between the following models I have in my
> hands:
> - Creator 3D (UPA)
> - Elite 3d M6 (UPA)
> - Expert3D lite

E3D-Lite is the worst here; its PCI and based on a semi-old PC
chipset.  I have one in my Blade 100, but wouldnt put one in
the 1K unless i needed multiple heads.

I've got an Elite3D M3 in my Ultra60, and a C3D Series3 in
my SB1K.  For overall "desktop" use, the C3D S3 is best; for
stuff using OpenGL and texturing, the E3D M3 is best.

> Moreover the sun type6 keyboard is not like a sun type5.
> Very low quality compared to that old nice keyboard :(
> I think I will change it with a logitec or so (the same
> for the mouse) but I don't know if that will work or not.
> It's USB I know, but can I change them?

The mouse will work fine, dunno about the keyboard.  I use
Logitech optical mice on all of my USB SPARCs.

> And... does anyone know if I can use ps2 Keyboards? No
> PS2 connector is present into the Blade workstation but I
> really would love to have it so that I can connect my
> Blackbox KVM.
> Any idea? :)

I have a Sun PS2-to-Sun keyboard adapter, but I dont know if
anybody makes a PS2-to-USB adapter that's Sun compatible yet.
Blackbox may actually have one.  If not, Lightwave Communications
(www.lightwavecomm.com I think) has adapters for EVERYTHING.

Bill

--
bill bradford