[rescue] Multia Question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 17 11:22:02 CST 2003

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 09:22 AM, Kris Kirby wrote:
>>> The AS200 and AS255 use 21064 CPUs, the Multia a 21066...
>>
>> Yes, but is the 21064 and 21066 pin-compatible in any way? That answer
>> doesn't really provide the definitive answer to this, but it should be
>> reasonable to say it's not.
>
> I have no clue, but they have mapped the jumpers out to find that it's
> got
> a top clock speed of 233MHz. Bear in mind that the implementation
> completely and utterly sucks. I've got a pair of 166MHz machines... I
> think they are toe-to-toe with my 486DX2/66.

   That fast?  That's surprising.  Every 21066-based machine I've used
(Multia 166, Multia 233, and AXPpci33) has been slower than pissing
tar.  I bought a bunch of Multias a long time ago with the intention of
replacing pretty much everything on my network with them.  I wound up
getting rid of them a few days later.  I was so disgusted with the
AXPpci33 that I just wound up throwing it in the trash...and that's
pretty rare for me.

           -Dave