[rescue] Framebuffer question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Feb 17 10:17:38 CST 2003

>From: "William G.Gruesbeck Jr." <bgruesbeck at daysys.com>
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:03:18 +0000
>Subject: [rescue] Framebuffer question
>
>I have been lurking around for a while now and just thought that I'd pipe up
>and ask a question. I have a Sparcstation 10 that I rescued a while ago that
>is configured with 128 mb ram, a TMS390Z50 @ 40MHZ, and a cgsix frambuffer.
>Everything works fine, but I would really like to have a deeper color depth.
>I have looked at the docs on sunhelp.org and I didn't see any mention of a 16
>bit sbus framebuffer, but the cg8, cg9, cg12, & cg14 are all listed as 24 bit
>color. I was just wondering which is recommended? Also how much would one

If your lucky enough to have a 10SX or a 10SX motherboard in a 10 chassis
(if you have a 13W3 video port on the back of your motherboard you may be
in luck here) then get a SS10 SX VSIMM (one from a 20 may work, but ones
for 10s won't work in 20s).  24 bit color and the video memory hangs on
the system memory buss... nice graphics.

If you don't have a 10SX, then you'll want a ZX framebuffer or a turboZX
framebuffer.  The turbo versions ran hot and have additional cooling
devices that need to be installed in the sbus slots above? the card.

If using a ZX Sun's last OS to support the ZX is Solaris 2.6, but I've read
people extracted and installed the ZX packages from Solaris 2.6 onto Solaris
7 and possibly Solaris 8 and used the ZX fine.

I may have a ZX card available if interested... if so, contact me off list.

>cost roughly? Currently, I mainly run progs. from another machine since this
>one seems kinda slow and poky.

costs vary

you'd also do well to upgrade your processor in that system which will take
away the pokyness of the box.  Look for SM71, SM81, or HS150 or better.
(I intermittently also have these parts if you ever want to upgrade, just
contact me off list).