[rescue] Framebuffer question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 09:13:54 CST 2003

--- "William G.Gruesbeck Jr." <bgruesbeck at daysys.com> wrote:
> I have a Sparcstation 10 that I rescued a while
> ago that is configured with 128 mb ram, a TMS390Z50 @ 40MHZ,
> and a cgsix frambuffer.

Sounds good...

> Everything works fine, but I would really like to have a
> deeper color depth.

Understandable...

> I have looked at the docs on sunhelp.org and I didn't see
> any mention of a 16 bit sbus framebuffer, but the cg8, cg9,
> cg12, & cg14 are all listed as 24 bit color. I was just
> wondering which is recommended?

Dunno - never used any of them...

> Also how much would one cost roughly?

Dunno - costs are all over the board, but I think the rule of thumb is,
that if you think the 24 bit framebuffer is under-priced, you probably
over-estimate it's speed... They are quite slow by anything resembling
current standards.

> Currently, I mainly run progs. from another
> machine since this one seems kinda slow and poky.

I'm confused - are you using the SS/10 as an X Term? If so, you may
want to look for an SS/20 with VSIMM, that will get you deeper color
using some of the same components...

=====
Lionel

http://shopping.yahoo.com