[rescue] VMS Newbie Questions

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Sun Feb 16 10:35:17 CST 2003

Can somebody offer some pointers to some good VMS resources for the newbie.
In particular, an "Introduction to VMS System Administration" would be
nice.  The HPaq docs seem to want to assume a lot of things, and I need
something that starts at ground zero.

I've found the "VMS Beginner's FAQ" to be somewhat helpful for general VMS
usage, but it assumes that one has access to an already setup and well
administered VMS machine, which I do not.  This is trial by fire for me.

In particular:

a)  Where's the C compiler?
b)  Where do I install third party software? (or what's the VMS equivalent
of /usr/local?)
c)  How do I add disks?

Also, has anybody attempted to run freenet on a VMS node?  The VMS machine
is the only "big iron" machine I have, and I think it'd be pretty neat to
make a freenet node of it"

-J

--
Jeff Workman | jworkman at pimpworks.org | http://www.pimpworks.org