[rescue] Java - code to detect MAC address?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sun Feb 16 00:04:11 CST 2003

On Sunday 16 February 2003 12:23 am, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> > arp -s is pretty standard across most Unices, I think.
>
> doh!  I meant arp -a of course....

Well, the arp command and its general purpose in life is somewhat standard,
but output format is different between Linux, AIX and Solaris (actually, AIX
and Linux look similar.)  True, it will give you mac addresses for machines
it has recently communicated with, but it will not in always tell you the mac
address of itself (Solaris and Linux do, but AIX doesn't).

And there's still one further problem -- I need to know the hardware address
of the *default route* nic in a multi-homed system.

Argh.  Custom code and kludgy response parsing here I come.

-E.