[rescue] SUn 386i problem

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sat Feb 15 10:10:19 CST 2003

Hi,

I was just trying to install SunOS onto my 386i/250 but it won't work.

Problem: when booting, it says "Warning:  failure" and the progress bar
is in yellow. When running the diagnostics disks, it fails as follows:

> Testing CPU, Takes 1.5 Minutes...
>
> *** CPU Test FAILED ***
>
> Most likely replaceable unit is CPU board
> Check for loose cables and try reseating the option boards

When rebooting after diagnostics has ended, the problem is no longer
there and the progress bar is in green. If I feed it install disk 1, all
goes well and it asks for disk 2. After having inserted that, the system
just keeps on reading from the disk forever.

I have tried:
- using another floppy
- using another floppy drive
- reseating all cards

I also tried inserting other SIMMs but those were 4MB each, and it won't
take them.

What wonders me is that, if the CPU is not well, how the system can boot
a kernel. Oh, I've also seen the system boot partly from harddisk.

Cheers,
Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"