[rescue] SMC truly blows... even on Ultra 1/170

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Fri Feb 14 13:46:25 CST 2003

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> I just loaded Sol9 on the Ultra 1 I have.  170.256MB config.
>
> SMC is dog-slow.  I feel like I am running NT3.1 on a 386/16MB system
> or something.
>
> Do people actually use this thing in production?  I guess if I was
> getting paid by the hour I'd love it.

About the only thing you might use it for is Metadisk config.
I would recommend learning the command tools.

SMC is a dog, but I'm wondering how much of the problem is
Java on Solaris 9?

Compiling our java application on Solaris 9 takes at least
*four times* longer than on Solaris 8.  Exact same machine,
exact same software config (except for the OS which
was changed from 9 to 8).  I'd love to do this test
again with Solaris 7 but the guys would like
to get some actual work done.

KL