[rescue] Old floppies (was AT&T 3B2 software)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Feb 14 09:51:15 CST 2003

.

>PS isn't it wonderful when 15-year old floppies are still readable? ;-)

Yes... I just archived SunOS 4.0.3 for the Sparcstation 1 last night
and I only had one floppy with a problem which responded well to the
"blow on it" data recovery method.  All archived now.

The "blow on it" data recovery method....  open the shutter door on the
disk, blow a string breath of air onto each side... if you get a little
moisture on the disk, all the better (if it doesn't evaporate within
seconds you got too much on it).

Don't ask me why this works... but I've had this stupid "trick" save my
data more time than I think I'd care to admit.  And I precheck the discs
for dust/contaminates first... and find none... so why this works is
beyond me.....  maybe spit is a magnetic amplifier :-)

I also have SunOS 4.1 on floppy for the Sun4c, but I'm missing
Diskettes A, B, and C (I have D through 21).  Anyone have SunOS 4.1 on
floppy such that I could get dd images of those three diskettes ???

-- Curt