[rescue] Ultra2 troubleshooting

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Thu Feb 13 21:28:35 CST 2003

All,

I acquired a dead Ultra 2 today. It has a 200Mhz CPU and 8 DIMMs- at least 4
of which are 32 meggers.

At power-up with a frame buffer and keyboard, I get a beep and the keyboard
lights flash, but nothing else happens.

Booting up with a terminal on Serial A gives back absolutely _nothing_.

I've removed the framebuffer and subbed in known good memory.

I've tried Stop-D and Stop-N with the keyboard and FB in.

One other data point is that the two internal disks never spin up, no matter
what the config. The power supply fans and fans for the CPU and memory cages
spin.

So- I'm ready for suggestions on next steps. Would be a fun box to get
running again, as long as it doesn't require major surgery. Power supply?
Bad NVRAM? Bad MB? You tell me! <grin>

Steve