[rescue] AT&T 3b1 Starlan software

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Thu Feb 13 14:10:14 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:02:20 -0800 (PST), Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez
<lefa at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
>
> > That's IBM arrogance at work. They called their operating system OS, for
> > Operating System, their disk operating system DOS, and later their
personal
> > computer PC. As if there were no others.
>
> Nope, that is IBM piss poor branding department. and DOS was an earlier OS
> that was actually bought by M$... IBM never branded that product except
> for the IBM-DOS or PC-DOS, but that was because they had to keep up with
> MS-DOS branding. :)

Um, I was speaking of DOS for mainframes, actually, though I sort of mixed in
the two. Nevertheless, I'm not sure how that contradicts what I said. They
called it DOS. And later, PC-DOS.

> I am sorry but if you compare the IBM PC to today's architectures, of
> course it is not competitive. But as usual you have to see the PC when it
> was first introduced,

Um, I did. I remember writing a short paper comparing it to the Apple II and
TRS-80 Mod I, which were already old at the time.

Today's architectures are direct descendents of the IBM PC.

> it was actually a pretty good machine. Standard well
> documented bus for expansion, moudular design, scalable storage... what
> a concept!

Those had already been done.

> It had its faults, but then there are no perfect systems anyway.

True, but I felt they duplicated a lot of mistakes they could have avoided
simply by looking at the designs that had already been done. And discarded
for
the next generation.

> Now I will go a duck for all the flack that will come on my way :)

If you insist. I disagree with you, but I don't think it's worth throwing
things at you for. That's OK, if you start pressing me for details, I will
probably have to back off... a lot of stuff has evaporated and made room for
other things in this thing I call a brain. :/

---
Nothing is more foolish than to talk of frivolous things seriously; but
nothing is wittier than to make frivolities serve serious ends. -Erasmus