[rescue] SunOS 5.5.1 inaccessible

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 13 13:55:55 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> > Word for Windows went 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 6.0, 95 (7.0), 97 (8.0),  2000
> > (9.0), xp (10.0).
>
> I always assumed that was because MS thought Windows was going to die,
> so they held off on updating the Windows version.

I don't know if MS honestly ever thought Windows was going to die after
3.0 was released.  However, Word for Windows 2.0, Word for DOS 5.0, and
Word for MacOS 5.1 were all current products at the same time (1992 or
so?).

Word for Windows was released on a much slower schedule than the MacOS
and DOS versions.  Version 1.0 came out in the Windows 2.0 days; version
2.0 required Windows 3.1 I -think-.  It may have run on 3.0, but 3.1 was
definitely the current version of Windows during most of its production
run.  Word 6.0 came out during the Windows 3.1 heyday (about the time NT
3.1 shipped--I remember that because Word 6.0 was almost immdediately
available in 16-bit and 32-bit versions).

My guess behind the version jump was to indicate feature parity with the
Mac version.  Mac users would say bloat-parity with the Windows version,
as 6.0 ran like dog squeeze compared to 5.1.  Word 6.0 was ported to Mac
OS directly from the Windows code, IIRC; it was Microsoft's shining
example of what their new Visual C++ cross-compiler for Macintosh could
do.  To the best of my knowledge, none of the Word for Macintosh 5.1
code survived.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "It's not about who's right and who's wrong...
Thorndale, TX      (*   it's about who works for the government and who