[rescue] Re: AT&T 3b1 Starlan software

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Feb 12 22:30:40 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> What? What?... !! the sky is falling... Dave admits liking a PC?

Well, it's not an Intel PC.

>From the FAQ at http://unixpc.taronga.com/ :

Subject: 1.1.  What exactly are the AT&T UNIX PC, PC7300, and 3B1?

	The name "UNIX PC" is a catch-all name for a set of machines
developed by Convergent Technologies (now part of Unisys) and sold by
AT&T in the mid to late 80's, all having the same basic configuration:

	o 10MHz 68010 with custom MMU
	o demand paged, virtual memory UNIX (max. process size 2.5M)
	o 10/20/40/67MB disk
	o 512k/1M/2MB RAM
	o monochrome, quasi-Hercules display

So it's actually closer to a Sun 2 in a smaller container with SVR2
instead of SunOS 3 and an AT&T logo instead of a Sun logo. And it looks
very nifty. I have one in storage, with a box (somewhere) of docs and
floppies.

--Rob