[rescue] Slow modern GUIs (Desktops)

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Wed Feb 12 03:40:25 CST 2003

One of the things I've found is that a lot of the time, the XFree
configurator that gets run for you at install sets you up with a 24 (or
higher) bit display by default.  This applies mostly to x86 hardware of
course and the the free UNIXs like linux and xBSD.

At typical desktop resolutions, that's a LOT of data to move around.

I've found that cutting that back to 16 bits helps performance a LOT, as
does disabling some of the neater but more unnecessary "features" like
transparent or translucent cursors, term windows, etc.

AL