[rescue] hard drives for an ss10

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Feb 12 01:35:01 CST 2003

>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:57:33 -0700 (MST)
>From: Arthur Wouk <awouk at ra.nilenet.com>
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] hard drives for an ss10
>
>i started looking at availability of hard drives to keep my ss10s
>going for a while, and they sem to be les available than they used to
>be. i need scsi-2 50pin drives not over 1" hight for internal
>mounting. for external mounts in 411 boxes i suppose i can go a little
>taller accorfing to my measurements.

Sparc 10s can use 1.6" height drives... they are not restricted to
inch height drives.

>anyway, what are decent sources for such. right now pricewatch has the
>following available. when i go to the manufacurer's sites, they no
>longer seem to have the details i need to decide which are usable.
>anyone able to comment on whether these will work in an ss10? i seem
>to remember the wiuth seagate N at the end meant something which made
>then unusable for  ss10 use, but i can't find the info at seagate'
>site. the ibm ones also i remember were not all usbale. any comments
>or directiosn to where i can find out about these?

Decent sources depend on how many drives you want, the capacity and
if you want them to all be the same.....

you can find lots of 50 pin drives on ebay for instance, but unless
you find someone selling a bulk lot it will be hard to aquire several
drives of the same model.

Seagate drives that end in 'N' are what you want for a sparc 10.
ones that end in 'ND', 'W', 'WC', 'LW', 'LC', etc will not work.
SCA drives can not be used with adapters as there is no room for
the adapter.

In external 411 cases you could use an SCA drive with a 50 pin
adapter as there should be plenty enough room in there for the
adapter.

SCA drives are easier to find in quantity and at greater capacities
than 50 pin drives.

>   IBM DGHS 4GB SCSI-NARROW 50PIN 09L0696 NEW IBM DGHS 4GB SCSI-NARROW
>   50PIN 09L0696
>
>   Quantum viking 2.2Gb 50pin SCSI-2 Drive OEM HP p/n d2788-60102 or
>   vk22s101
>
>   Hewlett Packard - Hard Disk Drives
>   C3306 HP 2.0GB 50PIN SCSI
>

>   IBM - Hard Disk Drives
>   DCHS04F DCHS-04F THE ST34520N & ST34573N 4.5GB 7200RPM ULTRA SCSI
>   50PIN DCHS04F (50 pin) (4.3GB) 1 INCH Price:
>
>   Seagate
>   (Not New) REFURBISHED - ST19101N same specs as ST19171N JUST 10K RPM
>   FACTORY REC. INSTOCK GSA # GS-35F-0171M 9.0GB HH 10K RPM 50PIN SCSI 2
>   YEAR M/F WARRANTY
>
>   Seagate Barracuda 9.1Gb SCSI-2 50pin 7200rpm 1.6inch heigh p/n
>   st19171n

All the above at an intial scan looks fine... your key here is 50 pin
single ended scsi 3.5" drives of 1.6" height or less.

>   (Not New) ST410800N ELITE MUST MENTION PRICE WATCH - 9.1GB 5400RPM
>   SCSI 5.25 50PIN -Full Height FAST Narrow SCSI-2, 11ms Price:

Behemoth... available for under $25 a piece all the time...  decent
drives for the time if you have enclosures to put them in.