[rescue] slow java code...an example of why it might be happening

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Feb 11 23:22:36 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 20:09, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Temporary solutions have an amazing way of becoming permanent.  I do
> my damnedest not to write them in the first place...and if that means
> the potentially bad code becomes no code at all, then so be it.  YMMV.

Amen. If my current job has taught me no other lesson, i've learned to
do things right the first time.  It irritates me to no end to have a job
done half-ass only to come back 1-6 months later and redo it the right
way.

Actually, this entire thread reminds me of the some of the stuff that
goes on at work.  Picture this:  A group of DUH-velopers using the wrong
tools (MS Access apps that access a MS SQL server) to write applications
the wrong way (NONE of them have ANY programming training), on the wrong
hardware (IDE drives in a database server?).  What does that make? A LOT
of overtime for the DUH-velopers, and a lot of time billed to the
client.  Honestly, i'm embarassed to work for the same company as these
guys.  (I'm friends with them, but have no respect for their work or
their boss.)

	-Dan Sikorski