[rescue] slow java code...an example of why it might be happening

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 20:47:22 CST 2003

--- Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> Thank god I got through college before "Object Oriented" became the
> OMG WTF MUZT HAVE NOW suit buzzword.  When I went through, they were
> teaching COBOL, Pascal, and C.
>
> (and Lotus 1-2-3, DBase, Wordperfect...)

Heh - C on an AT&T box (one of the slightly bigger ones), and Pascal on
a CP/M machine (oh, the 8" floppies!). One college I went to tried to
convice all the soon to be unemployed/future CS graduate that they
didn't need to know COBOL (circa 1985)...

In High School it was Level II BASIC on TRS-80s. ;^)

I wish I could get my brain around object-oriented programming, but I
always revert to top-down design. Luckily, I code for "fun,", and spend
more of my time grinding out system specifications for little "helper"
apps others will write in VB... It's funny, my specs come out in one
fell swoop, after I get the whole design in my head - I typically write
them on pads of paper far from a computer (I once went to the local
public library to avoid distractions!)...

=====
Lionel

http://shopping.yahoo.com